Thursday, May 15, 2008

So Long

So Long

I stare longingly at the empty space you've left,
It couldn't have been easy, you had great heft.
Many a man plied you with sweet talk and a buck,
They'd roll the wheel, hope to be awestruck.
But you were special. To me.
Why couldn't they let you be?
We had a thing that was better than the rest,
My initials carved in, one of the best.
No sensation was greater than filling the hole.
Two in a row, three in a row, I was on a roll.
Never as good as LTB, but I didn't have to be,
Just to be in your presence was good enough for me.
The new year brought rumors you'd be gone.
Coping wouldn't be easy, maybe the day wouldn't dawn.
But you stuck around, never wanting to leave,
It seems I was granted a reprieve.
Then a text last night, it was over.
Were you headed to that place near Dover ?
It doesn't really matter, since you and I are done.
Oh sure, random future get togethers would be fun.
But let's face it, it wasn't meant to be.
A short time was packed with memories, of you and me.
And even the times when we added a third or a fourth.
Or a fifth. Or drank a fifth. Only to eventually head north.
I'm accepting your fate now...
I know it's for the best somehow.
No longer does the news make me want to shout.
Instead, a little liquor I'll sadly pour out.

RIP Bags. The Pub will never be the same.

No comments: